The Historic Grand Lake Theater
In 1926, the Reid Brothers' design for the Grand
Lake Theater was completed for West Coast Theaters, Inc.
March 6, 1926 marked the
grand opening of this Vaudeville Show and Silent Movie House.
In 1928, West Coast
Theaters, Inc. became part of the Fox Theater Chain.
Vaudeville Shows were discontinued after talking pictures (known as
'talkies') became popular.
In 1980, Allen Michaan, owner of Renaissance Rialto, Inc. purchased
the ground lease,
opening the theater as a single screen Movie Palace
Photo copyright: Tom Paiva 1991
Two main expansions:
Expansion #1 - 1981 The main balcony seating was transformed into
Expansion #2 - 1985 Storefronts along Grand Avenue were transformed
into small movie palace themed auditoriums.
They were connected to the main theater by enclosing an exterior
Auditorium 3 - Egyptian
Auditorium 4 - Moorish